APPLICATION PERIOD NOW CLOSED 1/28/2016
CROSSING GUARD VACANCY
Salary of $43.67 per day
Each day consists of 2 shifts
AM [8:00 AM to 8:30 AM] and PM [3:00 PM to 3:30 PM]
Shifts will change due to weather/closings and special events
Posts cover Stillwater Road / East Avenue and
Bridge Street / East Ave for the Blairstown Elementary School
Contact township clerk for job description and application
CROSSING GUARD JOB DESCRIPTION
DEFINITION: Under direction and supervision, is responsible for regulating and directing the safe movement of children and pedestrians at street intersections; does other related duties.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Work involves regulating the safe movement and direction of children and pedestrians at street intersections.
- Notifies police when conditions warrant.
- Prepares reports.
LICENSE: Appointees will be required to possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license
HOURS: Must be available to work all shifts listed above in posting
- School year – Sept thru June: Mon to Friday 8:00am – 8:30am and 3:00pm – 3:30pm
- Is a citizen and resident of this state;
- Is sound in body and of good health;
- Is of good moral character;
- Has not been convicted of any criminal offence involving moral turpitude; and
- Be in good physical condition, including sight, hearing, and ability to move and maneuver quickly in order to avoid danger from errant vehicles;
- Be able to pass a criminal background check including fingerprinting;
- Pass a physical examination to check mobility, blood pressure, vision, and hearing.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to control a STOP paddle effectively to provide approaching road users with a clear, fully direct view of the paddle’s STOP message during the entire crossing movement;
- Ability to communicate specific instructions clearly, firmly, and courteously;
- Ability to recognize potentially dangerous traffic situations and warn and manage students in sufficient time to avoid injury;
- Ability to stand for one to two hours at a time;
- Ability to lift and hold in position a STOP paddle weighing approximately one pound while holding the opposite hand in an upright, raised position;
- Ability to walk, unassisted, across the street numerous times;
- Ability to raise both feet to step over a curb;
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions.